We have updated this policy to make it shorter and easier to read, and to comply with the NIGERIA DATA PROTECTION REGULATION 2019.
Table of Contents
1. What Data We Get
2. How We Collect Data About You
3. How your data is being used
4. Sharing of Your Data
5. Your Rights
7. Children's Privacy
8. Organization's Privacy
9. Links to Other Websites and Services
10. How to Contact Us
1. What Data We Get
Codesideacademy collect certain data from you directly, like information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with Codesideacademy. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
1.2 How We Collect Data
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including:
A. Account Data: You can browse our site without providing personal information, but you must register in order to access most of the features of Service. In order to use certain features (like enrolling in a course), you need to create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide, like your email address, password, gender, and date of birth, and assign you a unique identifying signature.
B. Profile Data: You can also choose to provide us with your profile information like a photo, headline, website link, social media profiles, or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.
C. Shared Content: Parts of the Services let you interact with other users or share content publicly, including by posting reviews on a course page, asking or answering questions, sending messages to students or instructors, or posting photos or other work you upload. Such shared content may be publicly viewable by others depending on where it is posted.
D. Course Data: When you enroll in and take courses, we collect certain data including which courses, assignments and quizzes you’ve started and completed; your exchanges with instructors, teaching assistants, and other students; and essays, answers to questions, and other items submitted to satisfy course requirements.
E. Student Payment Data: If you make purchases, we collect certain data about your purchase (such as your name and zip code) as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip code. For security, Codesideacademy does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
F. Data About Your Accounts on Other Services: We may obtain certain information through your social media or other online accounts if they are connected to your Codesideacademy account. If you login to Codesideacademy via Google or another third-party platform or service, we ask for your permission to access certain information about that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, physical location of your access devices, gender, birthday, and list of friends or contacts.
Those platforms and services make information available to us through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what information you (via your privacy settings) or the platform or service decide to give us.
If you access or use our Services through a third-party platform or service, or click on any third-party links, the collection, use, and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of that third party.
The data listed above is stored by Codesideacademy and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
We automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our website or use our Service, including:
A. System Data: Technical data about your computer or device, like your IP address, device type, operating system type and version, unique device identifiers, browser, browser language, domain and other systems data, and platform types (“System Data”).
B. Usage Data: Usage statistics about your interactions with the Services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages or the Service, pages visited, features used, your search queries, click data, date and time, and other data regarding your use of the Services (“Usage Data”).
C. Approximate Geographic Data: An approximate geographic location, including information like country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2. How We Collect Data About You
We use certaintools like cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising providers to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt out of data collection
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your use of third party applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Service.
When you access our Services by or through a mobile device, we may receive or collect and store a unique identification numbers associated with your device (“Device ID”), mobile carrier, device type and manufacturer, phone number, and, depending on your mobile device settings, your geographical location data, including GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device.
We use or may use the data collected through cookies, log file, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs information to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information; (c) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our website and our Service; (e) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (f) otherwise to plan for and enhance our service. We may associate information we automatically collect with your other information.
We use third-party advertising services like Facebook, Google’s ad services, and other ad networks and ad servers to deliver advertising about our Services on other websites and applications you use. The ads may be based on things that these ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone, or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and may access those tracking technologies in order to serve these tailored advertisements to you. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Services.
3. How your data is being used
Codesideacademy use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
• Provide and administer the Services, including to display customized content and facilitate communication with other users;
• Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features;
• Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications about changes to our Service, and updates to our agreements;
-Sending you information and in-app messages about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt out of at any time);
• Manage your account preferences;
• Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse;
• Solicit feedback from users;
• Administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by us;
• Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
• Identify unique users across devices;
• Tailor advertisements across devices;
• Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features;
• Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data;
• Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications;
• As required or permitted by law; or
• As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. Sharing of Your Data
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
We may share your personal information in the instances described below. For further information on your choices regarding your information, see the “Your Rights” section below.
We may share your personal information with:
• Other companies owned by or under common ownership as Codesideacademy, which includes our subsidiaries (i.e., any organization we own or control) or our ultimate holding company (i.e., any organization that owns or controls us) and any subsidiaries it owns. These companies will use your personal information in the same way as we can under this Policy;
• Third party vendors, consultants, contractors and other service providers that perform services on our behalf, in order to carry out their work for us, which may include content or service fulfilment, accounting, or providing analytics services;
• Third parties at your request. Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as User Content, becomes available to the public and/or to other Codecademy members, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings. Additionally, you may have the option to share your activities on our Services with your friends through social media. Codesideacademy does not have control over your information shared with third party social networks and you should review the policies of those networks before consenting to share information;
• Other parties in connection with any company transaction, such as a merger, sale of company assets or shares, reorganization, financing, change of control or the acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company or third party or in the event of bankruptcy or related or similar proceedings. Your information, such as user names and email addresses, User Content and other user information may be among the items sold or otherwise transferred in these types of transactions.
• Third parties as reasonably necessary to (i) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, subpoena/court order, legal process or other government request, (ii) enforce our Terms of Service, including the investigation of potential violations thereof, and/or (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations, (iv) to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Codesideacademy, our Users or others.
• With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to Codesideacademy, and your activities on Codesideacademy. If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants. • With Other Students and Instructors: Depending on your settings, your shared content and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
• With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like Clearbit, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
•To Administer Promotions and Surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
• For Advertising: If we decide to offer advertising in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), and to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. if you opt out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads.
5. Your Rights
You definitely do have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt out of promotional emails, cookies, and collection of your data by certain analytics providers. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Organizations who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their staff/students should contact us for help deleting that information.
5.1 Your rights in respect of your personal data if you are located in Nigeria
-The Data Subject shall have the right to request the Controller to delete Personal Data without delay, and the Controller shall delete Personal Data where one of the following grounds applies:
a) the Personal Data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or processed;
b) the Data Subject withdraws consent on which the processing is based;
c) the Data Subject objects to the processing and there are no overriding legitimate grounds for the processing;
d) the Personal Data have been unlawfully processed; and
e) the Personal Data must be erased for compliance with a legal obligation in Nigeria.
-The Controller who has made the Personal Data public and is obliged to delete the Personal Data shall, take all reasonable steps, to inform Controllers processing the Personal Data of the Data Subject’s request.
-The Data Subject shall have the right to obtain from the Controller restriction of processing where one of the following applies:
a) The accuracy of the Personal Data is contested by the Data Subject for a period enabling the Controller to verify the accuracy of the Personal Data;
b) The processing is unlawful, and the Data Subject opposes the erasure of the Personal Data and requests the restriction of their use instead;
c) The Controller no longer needs the Personal Data for the purposes of the processing, but they are required by the Data Subject for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
5.2 Your Choices about Your Information
You can choose not to provide certain information to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
• To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
• The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
• To opt out of allowing Google Analytics, Hotjar, Mixpanel, ZoomInfo, or Clearbit to use your data for analytics or enrichment, see the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, Hotjar Opt-Out Cookie, Mixpanel Opt-Out Cookie, ZoomInfo’s policy, and Clearbit data claiming mechanism.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at codesideacademy@
5.3 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that Codesideacademy collects and maintains as follows:
• Profile data: You can change your profile settings by visiting “Edit Account” to control whether your profile can be seen by Codesideacademy members or by the general public.
• Communications: You can control your communication preferences by visiting "Mail Settings” in the "My Account” section of our website. You can also click the “unsubscribe” button on promotional email communications. Note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, password requests, change or updates to features of the Service, or technical and security notices.
If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying your account information or to access, correct, or delete your personal data, you can contact us directly by submitting a ticket through our Help Center.
For your protection, we may require that the request be sent through the email address associated with your account, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. Please note that we retain certain data where we have a lawful basis to do so, including for mandatory record-keeping and to complete transactions.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
6.1 How We Store and Protect Your Information
B. Keeping your information safe: Codesideacademy takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. Codesideacademy uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the Service. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and Codesideacademy, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
7. Children's Privacy
Codesideacademy Service is not directed at children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information collected from a child under 13, please contact us by submitting a ticket through our Help Center
8. Organization's Privacy
In some circumstances, we may permit an Organization like School to register Students or staff to our service for the purpose of providing educational services. Because Codesideacademy provides the Service to Organizations to benefit and enhance the knowledge of th staff or students, Codesideacademy relies on the school to obtain and provide appropriate consent, if needed, to collect personal information of students.
9. Links to Other Websites and Services
The Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
10. How to Contact Us
Codesideacademy, First avenue, Gwarinpa, Abuja FCT, Nigeria.